While I’m in utter shock and disbelief that it could actually be November already, I do love starting a fresh new month. For the past 10 weeks I’ve been training hard for my first ever half marathon this weekend! That means I haven’t been skimping on fueling up- but it has meant maybe a little more food than I’m used to. So when I finish the race, it will be easier to simplify my eating and reset some bad habits that have crept up on me.
To hit the reset button I’ll be following a vegan diet for the month of November, and hopefully after that too if it is sustainable. I was vegan for 3 months my freshman year and I did enjoy it. Ithaca is such a vegan/vegetarian friendly town that it wasn’t hard eating out either. The hardest part will just be giving up greek yogurt and frozen yogurt. But my 2 favorite food groups: nut butter and coffee are 100% vegan so I think I’ll survive.
I can’t wait to try new inventive recipes. After my race on Sunday I’ll hit up one of the natural grocery stores and stock up on some vegan staples. I love a good challenge and I think my body will thank me too.
I’m in the mind set of adding variety rather than taking away. My skin likes when I ease up on the dairy and I think my tummy does too.
It will also give me an easy out for resisting too many holiday splurges that I don’t necessarily want or need.
I’ve set 3 fitness and 3 food goals for the month. Both sets of goals are actionable and measurable. Why three? Because 3 is easy to remember and realistic to achieve. But they are toughies, especially the snacking one….
- Incorporate lifting (2-3 per week) and keep track of progress
- Go to group fitness classes (2-4 per week) to learn/improve new skills and add variety
- Add morning workouts into schedule (2-3 per week)
- Follow a vegan diet for at least one month (hopefully longer if all goes well)
- Reduce snacking, especially at night while doing work – try drinking tea instead
- Improve meal planning, especially lunches during the week – make this a priority on Saturday/Sunday
Drink more water!