Grain-free oatmeal? Too good to be true? Nope, it’s a very real, high protein and flavorful alternative to oatmeal.
I love me some breakfast. Hands down my favorite meal. Zero competition. My mom gave me a little sign for my desk that says “I drink coffee for your protection.” First of all, yes, true, love it BUUUT I think it would be more appropriate if it said “I eat breakfast for your protection.” Many mornings my main motivator for getting out of bed? You guessed it: breakfast
I’m a huge fan of Parks and Rec and I really think it has a lot to do with how much they get how important breakfast is.
Ok, enough about how much I love breakfast that much is understood. Let’s get on to the main event; celebrating the magic of bananas and eggs. These two foods are miracles in the kitchen. Eggs can be cooked so many different ways and bananas are insanely versatile in baking, cooking and blending.
I discovered the idea of “nOatmeal” last year when I did my first Whole30. I was eating a lot of eggs and veggies for breakfast, which is wonderful but I was missing oatmeal. Then this trick started popping up all over – mix bananas with eggs and flax and cook them like scrambled eggs and it creates a satisfying breakfast with a texture and taste similar to oatmeal. I had to give it a try. Low and behold it was delicious and satisfied my craving for oatmeal.
I actually prefer it to oatmeal for a couple reasons:
- First, the added protein from eggs helps me stay full much longer than traditional oatmeal
- The texture is much fluffier than oats
- You don’t have to add any sweetener like maple syrup because the banana makes it naturally sweet
However, I’ll be honest: while it has similarities to oatmeal, it’s not an exact replication. It’s closer to a sweet, fluffy scramble than dense oats. If you hate the texture of scrambled eggs then you probably won’t love this, but I really think you should give it a try!
- 2 eggs
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 tbsp of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp of ground flax meal
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- Optional Toppings:
- Nut butter
- Sunflower Seeds
- Slivered Almonds
- Fresh Berries
- Peel banana, cut in chunks and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds
- Mash banana and add 2 eggs, whisk together until well combined
- Add almond milk, flax and cinnamon and mix together
- Heat coconut oil in frying pan
- Pour banana egg mixture into pan and with your spatula constantly push egg mixture around the pan as it cooks
- Stir egg mixture until completely cooked should look like the a mixture of the texture of scrambled eggs and oats
- What’s your ideal breakfast?
- What’s your favorite meal of the day?