This breakfast burrito bowl is truly the ultimate breakfast lovers dream. With zesty black beans, sweet potatoes, scrambled eggs and of course avocado, there’s no better bowl around.
Oh breakfast. You magical meal. Breakfast love is far from a new topic around these parts. You know my kinship with Leslie Knope (a fictional breakfast-loving character from Parks and Rec). You probably are
When someone tells me they aren’t a breakfast eater, first my heart gets sad, but then I realize that this is a very special challenge. Next to my goal of helping people realize that eating healthy doesn’t have to a.) consume your life or b.) be expensive or complicated – one of my other life/blog goals is to make everyone a breakfast lover or at the very least a moderate breakfast enjoyer.
I’ve compiled a short list of 10 compelling reasons that anyone could agree with as to why breakfast is truly the meal for champions.
Top 10 Reasons to Love Breakfast
- You can have eggs and pancakes at the same meal.
- You never hear anyone saying “let’s have dinner for breakfast.”
- Breakfast is so good it’s taken over lunch (aka brunch.)
- Breakfast foods can cure all wounds (that one isn’t completely tested but go with me.)
- Waffles. What other food has butter pockets?
- Sweet or Savory. What other meal has that?
- Coffee is served at breakfast, that should count for at least 4 reasons.
- Even a sub par breakfast is still pretty decent.
- Can we just talk about how many ways you can make eggs? At least 18 right?
- Add the word “breakfast” to a regular food and it will probably become at least 7x better.
That last reason was pretty much my logic when it came to this breakfast burrito bowl. Breakfast is great. Burritos are great. Bowls are great. When you have a triple great combination, there’s absolutely no losing.
What’s more this breakfast burrito bowl can really be enjoyed at all hours (this aspect of the recipe has been tested throughly because I have had it for all three meals, not consecutively of course, but I wouldn’t put that against me either.)
If this bowl can’t convert someone to a breakfast lover then, they might have bigger issues to deal with. But for all you breakfast loving humans this one is SO for you.
- ½ of a 15 oz. Can of Black Beans
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Cups of Arugula
- 1 oz of Cheddar Cheese, grated
- ½ an Avocado, Sliced
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Cilantro for Garnish
- Peel sweet potato and microwave for 4 minutes
- When done, slice into ½ inch cubes
- In a large frying pan sauté sweet potato, black beans with a tablespoon of olive oil, adding salt and pepper to taste for 15 minutes
- In a separate non-stick pan, scramble 4 eggs (6-8 minutes)
- While eggs and sweet potato and beans are cooking, grate cheddar cheese
- Divide arugula into two bowls
- Top greens with divided cooked sweet potato & beans, scrambled eggs, sliced avocado and sprinkle with cheddar cheese
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Breakfast lovers: what are your favorite things about breakfast
- Breakfast on-the-fencers: what’s holding you back, it’s ok, this is a non-judgement zone