Purple is the new green smoothie thanks to this vibrant, purple protein-power smoothie bowl.
I’m hear to declare that purple smoothies are the new green smoothies. Ok, I know what you’re thinking “WOAH WOAH WOAH Georgie who do you think you are to make such a earth shattering declaration?!” Ok, you’re probably not thinking that but I want to pretend that this is a super dramatic moment, ok? Cool.
Alright, now we’ve got all this drama out of the way let’s talk about why you want t make this purple power smoothie a part of your morning routine. It gets it’s deep purple-ness from the delicious berry combination of frozen blueberries, blackberries and cherries. On their own these fruits are lovely, but together they blend so well to create a balanced sweet, tart, juicy flavorful smoothie bowl experience.
Not only is it packed with these delish berries, but it also packs in a whole cup of spinach sooooo yeah, best of both worlds for sure.
I’m totally a smoothie-bowl-a-day kinda gal and here’s why:
- The thick texture of smoothie bowls eaten with a spoon make you feel like you’re having a healthy dessert for breakfast
- You get 3 servings of fruit, 1-2 servings of veggies, plant-based protein and fiber all in one meal
- Toppings, aka allowing your childhood self to finally play with your food guilt-free
- There are about 1 bajillion different variations when it comes to fruits, veggies & toppings so you’ll never get bored
Speaking of morning routines my quest for a #morningroutinemakeover started with a semi-bang. (If you have no idea what I’m talking about read this post.) I’ve definitely gotten better at winding down earlier 10pm vs. Midnight. Airplane mode on before bed and until 8am has been excellent for shutting down and waking up feeling energized not anxious. I haven’t worked out before work yet, but it’s definitely something I’ll be working on this week. I did find that taking a shower before my early shifts was also a good way to start my day feeling refreshed, in the absence of a workout.
Normally, I’ll grab some overnight oats for work, but I’m definitely tempted to blend up one of these bad boys for the road and drink as a smoothie (sans-toppings sadly.)
purple protein-power smoothie bowl
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- ½ cup of frozen blackberries
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder*
- ½ cup of almond milk
- ¼ cup of granola
- 5 strawberries, halved
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 7 frozen blackberries
- 1 cup of spinach
- *I used Vega Sport
- In a high powered blender, add blend together frozen banana, blueberries, blackberries and protein powder. Add almond milk as desired.
- Pour smoothie into a small bowl
- Top with strawberries, blackberries, granola and drizzle almond butter on top
If you love smoothie bowls (or want to try one for the first time) check out some of these other recipes and tips about blending the perfect bowl:
Pin this recipe for later
- Are you a smoothie bowl lover? If so why?