This isn’t your grandma’s pasta salad. This pasta-less summer squash is a fresh vegan take on a summer classic.
The first day of summer is less than a week away and I can literally smell it in the air. Riding my bike to work last week, I was giddy with excitement as I sensed the familiar sounds and smells that mean it’s summer on Nantucket. Flowers are in full bloom, the roads are filled with cyclists and visitors, shops are open, my sunglass tan is in full effect and summer produce is getting juicer by the day.
Growing up on an island, based around summer tourism, has always meant that summer holds a very special place in my heart. I’m also a July baby so the end of July marks some of my favorite weeks of the year. Nothing makes me happier than climbing into bed at 2 am with sandy toes after a bonfire complete with s’mores, singing along to 90’s jams on the guitar and several wishes being made on shooting stars.
The last summer I spent on Nantucket was in 2012. At the time I had 2 jobs and worked almost 70 hours a week so I could pay for school. Needless to say that wasn’t the most enjoyable summer. Since then I’ve been in various cities where beaches were no longer a five minute bike ride away.
I forgot how much I cherished these crazy couple months until being back with beaches in reach and all my favorite summer “ingredients” nearby.
For me summer equals:
- Swimming in the ocean
- Iced coffees (but let’s be real that’s a year round thing)
- Late night star gazing
- Long bike rides
- Waiting in line for 40 minutes to get the best damn ice cream
- A little extra dose of shenanigans
- Runs through the woods
- Family barbecues
- Ma birthday
But I’d love to know what YOUR favorite ingredients to summer are! What instantly brings you back to this time of year? What are those special moments that only happen these couple months that make them so special? What tastes instantly remind you of July?
One of my favorite summer flavors has GOT to be basil. When I had the chance to partner with The FeedFeed and make a recipe with Hellmann’s Carefully Crafted Dressing & Sandwich Spread I wanted to put an extra summery twist on a summer classic: the pasta salad.
Pasta salad truthfully was never something I had to have at the picnic, but this version made with fresh summer veggies, zucchini and summer squash noodles and basil Carefully Crafted dressing is a game. changer. Really. The creamy basil sauce perfectly harmonizes the crunchy peppers, sweet corn and spiralized squash.
Not only is this pasta-less pasta salad gluten-free it’s also vegan-friendly. It’s made with Hellmann’s Carefully Crafted Dressing & Sandwich Spread so it’s free from eggs, cholesterol and made with non-GMO ingredients. I think you’re going to impress a lot of folks at your next summer gathering if you bring this salad. I mean, I impressed myself anyway.
- For the Salad:
- 2 Medium Zucchinis
- 1 Summer Squash
- 1 Cup of Cherry Tomatoes Sliced in Half
- 1 Red Pepper, Diced
- 1 Cup of Corn
- For the Sauce:
- ¾ Cup of Hellmann’s Carefully Crafted Dressing & Sandwich Spread
- 2 Tablespoon of Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Cup of Basil
- Spiralize zucchinis and summer squash and place in a large mixing bowl
- Mix with 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved, corn and diced red pepper
- In a food processor or magic bullet blend together Hellmann’s Carefully Crafted Dressing & Sandwich Spread, mustard, vinegar and basil until sauce is smooth
- Toss veggie salad with basil sauce and store in the fridge before serving
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days
- This blog post brought to you by Hellmann’s & The FeedFeed
This blog post brought to you by Hellmann’s & The FeedFeed all opinions expressed are my own.
- What’s on your list of “summer ingredients”