This go-to homemade granola is going to be your breakfast bff. It’s easy to make and makes breakfast a breeze all week.
When I was in college, coming home for breaks I always felt the rush of warmth that accompanies being home. For some reason, one detail that always stood out on these visits was the amazing bounty of fresh, homemade granola sitting on the counter in a large glass jar. (You know, that big one from ikea).
We’d wake up in the morning, a little hazy from months of going full speed at college, with no real plan for the day. We’d stumble downstairs and there it was. The granola jar.
Clearly, this granola made an impression on me. It was delicious, but it was also a special kind of comfort. It tasted like home. It was always there, waiting for us.
Now at 24, I’ve gotten used to the feeling of being a transplant, a nomad, a wanderer. Every year or so, I move to a different city or state. Nothing really feels like home. Right now I actually am back in the house I grew up in, but that won’t be for too much longer. I still don’t feel like anything is permanent. I don’t feel settled. So I’ve gotten into the habit of daydreaming about my dream apartment. A space that actually feels like mine.
It isn’t big or fancy. It’s humble and filled with homemade details. Candles and plants and picture frames. Obviously it would need big windows (for this whole photography/blog thang) and hopefully the kitchen would accommodate constant creations.
But you bet there will be a granola jar. A big glass one, you know, the kind from Ikea. And it would be there every morning waiting for me, some days laser focused, others hazy.
But most mornings I’d enjoy my go-to granola recipe. The one that’s never failed me. I hope you’ll try it and maybe feel a little of that “It’s good to be home” feeling, too.
Go-to Homemade Granola
- 2½ cups of Oats
- ½ Cup of Pecans
- ½ Cup of Cashews
- ½ Cup of Almonds
- ½ Cup of Pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 2 Tablespoons of Chia Seeds
- Dash of cinnamon
- ¼ Cup of Melted Coconut Oil
- ⅓ Cup of Creamy Nut Butter (I love almond or cashew)
- ¼ Cup of Maple Syrup or Honey
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a big bowl mix together dry ingredients
- In a small dish heat coconut oil until melted in microwave for 30 seconds
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together coconut oil, creamy nut butter and maple syrup and vanilla extract until well combined
- Pour liquid over dry ingredients while stirring dry ingredients
- Mix thoroughly until well combined (you might have to use your hands)
- Pour granola onto greased baking tray (or use a silpat) and bake for 25 minutes at 350ºF - take out of the oven and stir, then bake for another 10-15 minutes until granola is getting golden brown
- Allow granola to fully cool before breaking it apart (this allows for nice clusters)
Save this recipe for later, scroll over to Pin
- Is there a detail about being “home” that you love?