On today’s episode of The Chasing Joy Podcast we talk about the beautiful, challenging, messy road to eating disorder recovery with my guest Marina Di Loreto.
Today’s episode of the Chasing Joy Podcast was a true pleasure to record. I talk with my guest Marina Di Loreto about what it’s like to recover from orthorexia. Orthorexia is an obsession with eating healthy foods and it’s closely related with anorexia. Both are very serious disorders that take years, hard work and true determination to over come.
There are so many stigmas and misconceptions around eating disorders and recovery. We dive into this honest conversation with open minds and hearts. Marina shares her story with so much grace and wisdom. She shares some of the darkest “bottom” points and how she knew it was time to seek professional help.
Recovering can be a lonely challenging path filled with lots of moving backwards before you move forward. Marina shares how this past year was a big step back as she found herself trapped in a diet program that turned off her food intuition.
She shares how she regained her own personal power and is saying goodbye to dieting mentality for good. This is such a powerful episode for anyone who’s fallen down and had the courage to get back up. I hope this one resonates with you.
We talk about
- Body image as a dancer
- How the mirror can distort your body image & the benefits of living without one in recovery
- Marina’s eating disorder story
- When she knew she needed to ask for help & who she went to
- Why recovery is not a linear journey
- The steps Marina took to recover from her eating disorder
- The surprising habit Marina quit and why it was important
- Is there ever a benefit to calorie counting?
- Wellness practices that help with recovery setbacks
- What it’s like to be stuck in pseudo recovery
- What it’s like to get stuck in the diet industry trap
- Why diets numb your intuition
This Episode is Perfect for Anyone
- Who is currently recovering or has recovered from an eating disorder
- Who is struggling right now with disordered eating
- Curious about balancing work, life, and recovery while in school
- Wants to learn more about how the diet industry is designed to make you “fail”
- Needs a little hope/inspiration on their path to self love, intuitive eating and body acceptance
Connect with Marina
- Blog – http://adancersliveit.com/
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/
- Books mentioned: Intuitive Eating
Hang out with the Joy Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness and joy filled conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks on new things coming to the blog and podcast first)
Want to be a Hero?
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.