Today on the Chasing Joy Podcast: Unlearning Food Rules, Intuitive Eating & Body Acceptance with Kylie Mitchell from Imma Eat That.
For a long time I thought I was alone. I thought I was crazy. I thought I was the only one. That was until I started a blog and realized that there are so many women out there who have struggled with disordered eating in their lives. For a long time I felt like I was stuck in my recovery. My body looked “normal” again but my mind and my relationship with food felt far from normal. Days were spent obsessing over what I was eating, whether it was “good” or “bad,” yo-yo-ing between obsessive calorie counting and feeling out of control around food. It wasn’t until I truly embraced intuitive eating – or what I called at the time “trying less around food” that I felt peace again. Kylie’s blog Imma Eat That was one of the resources I regularly turned to, to help me relearn how to be normal around food.
Kylie’s story isn’t unlike my own or the story of many readers and listeners. Her relationship with food got rocky in high school and through college she fell into a cycle of restriction, binging and over exercise. Sound familiar?
Luckily Kylie’s education and dietetic internship opened her eyes to another way of life. One where what you ate didn’t rule your day or your mind. Since then Kylie’s build an online presence, and private practice that helps women learn how to eat again.
Kylie’s story and her work really hits home with me in so many ways. Her perspectives on food and why it’s not to be feared have helped so many women, including myself. Kylie works as a non-diet dietitian and shares tools online for women. I hope you find something in this conversation that can spark a change in how you think about food and your body no matter how small.
We Talk About
- Kylie’s history with disordered eating
- How Kylie got into working in eating disorder recovery
- How to identify food rules and overcome you’ve built up over the years
- What is intuitive eating
- Myths perpetuated by the diet industry
- How our bodies change shape/size during different phases of our lives
- Affirmations to help you develop a positive relationship with your body
- How to interrupt disordered eating thoughts
- Intuitive eating: what if I “let myself go” and other fears
- How to stop calorie counting
- Body acceptance
This Episode is Perfect for Anyone:
- Has struggled or is currently struggling with an eating disorder
- Is stuck in the binge/restrict cycle
- Has dealt with exercise addiction
- Wants to learn tools to break the disordered thought pattern
- Is curious about intuitive eating
- Is scared to try intuitive eating
- Wants to let go of counting calories
Connect with Kylie
Kylie’s Most Popular “How to Eat” Posts
- Your Disordered Eating is Like an Abusive Relationship You Keep Coming Back To
- Being a Competent Eater Instead of Eliminating Food Groups
- Are You an Intuitive Eater?
- You Don’t Have to Believe What You Think *personal favorite*
Resources Kylie Mentioned
Hang out with the Joy Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness and joy filled conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks on new things coming to the blog and podcast first)
Want to be a Hero?
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.