Adulting, Handling a Stressful Career & Creating a Flexible Life Plan
I’ve always been a fan of a good, soul searching, deep diving, heart spilling conversation. It’s like a sweaty workout for the soul. You leave refreshed and simultaneously tired and energized. These kinds of deep conversations were a huge driver behind starting this podcast. I love listening to shows that go deep and get real. I wanted to offer more of those conversations. I selfishly wanted the chance to talk to amazing people and ask them all my questions.
I also wanted the opportunity to capture conversations with people I already knew. Special people in my life, who I think we can all learn from. One of those special people is my big sister Nellie. She’s been my rock and my lighthouse for all my life. Guiding my actions and teaching me more than she knows. Today on the show I wanted to talk about one of our favorite topics: “How do you even Adult?”
During this call we talk about everything from feeling lost out of college, to feeling inadequate at a new job, to trying to make your Wednesdays as special as your Fridays, to giving yourself the permission to set boundaries and so much more. Grab your favorite iced coffee or matcha, plug in your earbuds and get walking, because this is a good one!
On this episode we talk about
- Choosing where to move after college
- Making friends again after college
- Why college doesn’t really prepare you for your first job (and why that’s ok)
- Balancing ambition and burnout
- Coping with disappointment when you don’t feel like you’re meeting your goals
- Managing feeling mediocre when you’re in the beginning of your career
- Creating small moments of purpose and meaning when you feel overwhelmed by your work so you don’t live for the weekend
- How to make Wednesdays as special as Fridays
- De-stressing after work and feel energized for the next day
- How Nellie decided to leave her first job
- Why you have to shift inward to find peace with your current situation
- How seasonal work can give you freedom
- What to do when the trip you planned turns out different from what you expected
- Being more honest with yourself when you are planning a trip – what do I need vs. think I should need
- Giving yourself permission to be honest with yourself (about what you’re comfortable with)
- Making decisions based on intuition vs. what you think other people are expecting
- Social media and travel comparison
- Making big life decisions without over planning
This episode is perfect for anyone who
- Navigating the begining of their career
- Is feeling stuck at their job or feels like they live for Friday
- Trying to figure out where they want to live
- Is working a 9-5 job and wants more flexibility
- Is feeling lost when it comes to making big decisions
- Wants to travel without the comparison trap
Hang out with the Joy Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness and joy filled conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks on new things coming to the blog and podcast first)
Want to be a Hero?
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.