Opening Your Mind, Trusting Your Own Path and Expanding the Definitions of Health with Davida Kugelmass
I’m pretty damn stoked about this episode, or PDS for short. Davida is and has been a major blog & business role model for a long time. I admire the way she shares her life and runs her business. I don’t know what it is, but somehow whenever I’m feeling a major shift in my life Davida is going through something different yet similar and always has something insightful that helps me reframe my experience.
Like several of my blogging mentors/pals/friends this past year has been a huge year for personal growth. Davida shifted away from being primarily about food to really opening up about how so many parts of life intermingle with health, and that a healthy life isn’t meant to be lived in a vacuum.
When Davida agreed to be on the show I was a little nervous because I had so many things I could have asked her about. However, as I had a hunch it would, this conversation flowed naturally and went in places I couldn’t have predicted, which made it all the more powerful. If I could sum it up in one phrase I’d say this episode was about self-discovery. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
We Talk About:
- How the school system does not allow for a lot of creativity and self discovery as kids
- Women and success. Why is it so hard as women to celebrate our successes
- Why it’s important to share the lows and the highs (not just one or the other)
- Finding the happiness middle ground – it’s ok to not be high high or low low
- Why Davida encourages women to share what’s on their mind (when they’re ready to)
- How she’s learned how and when to share – (and when to journal/talk to friends first)
- It’s important with blogging to always remember to add value when you share your own story
- One of her biggest points of growth has been getting comfortable following her own path versus fitting into a mold that’s worked for others
- When she knew she didn’t have to define success the way others were
- How Davida’s relationship with her business has changed and how it’s changed her as a person
- Quitting the hustle culture and not being the “healthy maven” 24/7
- Setting boundaries in her business
- How building a great online life can sometimes replace real life magic
- Why friendships & relationships are so important for health/happiness
- How Davida’s definition of health has expanded since starting her blog
- Health experts are meant to be advisors – not dictators
- Judgement goes both ways
- Being open minded when it comes to letting people be on their journey
- Davida’s experience with exercise addiction
- Being patient with changing and improving our mental health
- Having compassion for how long change takes
- Lessons from dog ownership
- The alternative health practice that Davida loves – (essential oils)
This Episode is Perfect For Anyone Who:
- Runs their own business
- Learning to create boundaries
- Expanding and challenging their definition of health
- Has struggled with exercise addiction
- Honestly there are so many gems in this episode, everyone should listen!
Listen on the Computer
Favorite Posts from the Healthy Maven
- I know the secret to skinny
- Things I’m Afraid to Tell You
- My Number One Piece of Business Advice
- Scenes and lessons learned from moving
Connect with Davida
- On Instagram: @thehealthymaven
- On her Blog: the healthy maven
- On her podcast: That’s So Maven
- On her Youtube channel: That’s So Maven
Hang out with the Joy Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness and joy filled conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks on new things coming to the blog and podcast first)
WANT TO BE A HERO?
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.
*indicates these are amazon affiliate links