Tuning Out Diet Culture, Intuitive Eating During the Holidays & Adjusting to Big Life Transitions – Q&A Episode
Today marks 40 episodes of the Chasing Joy Podcast. Every 10th episode is a Q&A. Thank you to everyone who asked amazing deep, thoughtful questions.
This is a very special episode for me because I had my fiancé Chris ask the questions. He also shares his thoughts on many of the questions too. Selfishly I loved it because I love Chris and it was a blast to do this together. I also think he brings a really unique perspective. Chris is incredibly thoughtful and wise. He’s a little older than me and definitely doesn’t have attachment to social media like I do. He’s an intuitive eater without even having to try while also having tons of really healthy habits. We answer questions about adulating, mindset, relationships, body image, work and photography.
A note about the answers – these are all answers from my perspective and without full context on your life. When it comes to advice I always tell folks you have to listen to your gut first and foremost. I hope this will give you food for thought or things that you might want to try. If the advice and thoughts I share do not resonate with you, and they just don’t jive, that’s totally ok.
- Girl how did you get your hair like that! Is it washing out?
- What kind of music do (and Chris) you listen to?
- How do you like living in on Nantucket? Do you ever miss the city?
- How much coffee is too much coffee? But seriously.
- Also any thoughts or experienced on “high fat” coffee or collagen in coffee?
- I recently graduated from college and I’m living at home right now. Obviously I can’t live at home forever but I get so anxious when I think about moving to a new city. Not only adjusting to a new city, but also adjusting my first full time job. How can I possibly handle all of that at once?
- How do you deal with the loneliness that comes in the seasons of life when there are less people in your circle?
- How did you choose your first job after graduation? I’m a senior with a couple job options, but don’t know what would make me happiest.
- I’m curious to know what it was like transitioning from your 9-5 , so called “perfect” job to your coffee shop life? How did you manage the pay cut and the outside judging and the fear of the unknown?
- How to you get one thought out of your head? I’ve tried so much advice but can never seem to stop obsessing over x one day or y the next.
- I wonder sometimes if I’m just being lazy for wanting to take it easy when I’m feeling stressed/depressed/anxious. Should I push through it and make myself do what is uncomfortable?
- How do you organize your time when you work from home and/or work for yourself?
- What camera/editing do you use?
- How do you get started on a side photography business with the hopes of turning it into a full time job?
- I always struggle with taking photos in public, I feel like I will be judged if I take a picture of my food or a selfie in gym. How would you go around that? Does anyone else feel like that?
- Quick things to do when you don’t have a ton of time or start/finish a task, but want to do something somewhat productive. For example I have 15 minutes at home before I need to leave for an appointment – what can I do instead of scrolling through my phone?
- Do you have any recommendations for practical daily tips for recovery for someone who is struggling with the restrictive eating/binge eating cycle who is already in therapy?
- Tips about being in a relationship with a gym junkie, diet focused person when you are trying to recover from an eating disorder?
- I’m in the middle of getting over an eating disorder/restrictive eating. I am working on being comfortable around all foods, but I feel like diet culture/”clean eating” talk is all around me. Do you have any advice for how to deal with hearing people talk about their weight, their food, etc.?
- How do I get away from what all the health bloggers say and instead be in tune with myself and give into what my body wants/craves versus what I “should eat”
- Do you have any tips or experience connecting the information we’ve learned from the wellness community to actionable steps?
- Vegetarian/pescatarian dinner ideas that you and your fiancé make together!! I’m always looking for veg/pesce friendly recipes that are good for cooking with my boyfriend!
- I would love to know how you approach holidays and parties. I always find myself saying “whatever it’s vacation” but then feeling pretty gross after from all the unhealthy choices I made. How do you navigate those situations in an “intuitive” way without ending up feeling like you overdid it?
- Do you have any advice about coping with dating and body image issues/residual food shame and disordered eating thoughts?
- Also for both you and Chris – what ways do you help foster each other’s wellness? (Without being naggy)
- I live with my boyfriend (also his name is Chris!) and we’ve really been aware recently when we aren’t on the same energy or joy level. How do you and your Chris acknowledge and adjust when one has more energy when the other is feeling like sitting on the couch? And also when one is feeling more joyful or happy than the other when living so close together in the same space?
Listen on The Computer
Hang out with the Joy Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness and joy filled conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks on new things coming to the blog and podcast first)
WANT TO BE A HERO?
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.
SHARE YOUR STRUGGLE & WIN
get featured on the show by sharing your struggle & win for the week – email them to me georgie [at] init4thelongrun.com with the subject line “struggle and win”