Ep. 45 – The Power of Being Present, Showing Up in Relationships & Why Self-Love Can Be Tough Love
This episode is like that deep soul filled conversation you have with a close friend, except Marian and I had never met. We dive right into so many amazing rich topics about personal growth and relationships. I will warn you there is some deep stuff in here. I really loved this episode because I actually only asked 2 of my prepared questions and the rest of the time we just riffed and dove deeper.
I loved where this conversation went and for anyone who is passionate about showing up as the full version of themselves, I know you’ll love it too! This is a good one to listen to after you’ve done some yoga or are on a long walk or chillin’ sipping a glass of wine (or coffee, or kombucha or tea). In fact, after we got off of the call I thought to myself that Marian is like a warm herbal tea for your soul. I don’t even really know what that means but it definitely felt real!
On this Episode We Talk About:
- How Marian starts her morning
- What do you do when you’re under a deadline but want to honor your body when it’s stressed
- How Marian got started with meditation and how she reframed it to just “breathing”
- Being still and what meditation is and isn’t
- What it means to surrender in this moment without the preference on the moment – allowing versus struggling
- Can I surrender to a moment without labeling the pain as something good or bad?
- How we can’t really be happy until we embrace pain without judgment of it
- How our culture has put happiness on a pedestal (and it makes us miserable)
- Appreciating what each kind of emotion provides in our life
- Control – why it’s an illusion
- How we can treat ourselves and others to the best of our ability, without overcompensating and trying to control an outcome
- Expectations – how they create a false reality in the future and block us from accepting and embracing what is
- Why sometimes self-love has to be tough love
- How relationships can be mirrors for our own “stuff”
- Ask “why am I trying to resist this?”
- Why self-love can be compassionate and disciplined at the same time
- Necessary discomfort and why it can be a good thing – there’s magic on the other side of most discomfort
- Small talk versus deep talk – how to make small talk meaningful
- Navigating how to handle what other people think of you
- Sharing your story versus the stories you’re a part of – how do we share our relationships online
- We discuss how we’re working on people pleasing
Connect with Marian
Listen on the Computer
Hang out with the Joy Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness, and joy-filled conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks of new things coming to the blog and podcast first)
WANT TO BE A HERO?
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.
SHARE YOUR STRUGGLE & WIN
get featured on the show by sharing your struggle & win for the week – email them to me georgie [at] init4thelongrun.com with the subject line “struggle and win”